[Python-Dev] Maybe, just maybe, pathlib doesn't belong.

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 12 11:59:19 EDT 2016

one little note:

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 3:41 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> 4. There are further improvements that could be made to pathlib,
> certainly, but again they are optional, and pathlib is fine without
> them.

Exactly -- "improvements to pathlib" and "make the stdlib pathlib
compatible" are completely orthogonal.

> 5. I wish more 3rd party code integrated better with pathlib. The
> improved integration work might help with this. But ultimately, Python
> 2 compatibility is likely to be the biggest block (either perceived or
> real - we can make pathlib support as simple as possible, but some 3rd
> party authors will remain unwilling to add support for Python 3 only
> features in the short term). This isn't a pathlib problem.

true -- though the proposed protocol approach opens doors there -- any
third party lib can check for a __whatever_it's_called__ and run fine in
py2 or py3 or, indeed, any version of python.

Also if you really don't like pathlib, then the protocol allows you to
write/use a different path implementation -- really win-win.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov