[Python-Dev] Maybe, just maybe, pathlib doesn't belong.

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 12 12:33:54 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze at mail.de> wrote:

> As an example: time.sleep takes a number of seconds (notice the primitive
> datatype just like a string) and does not take timedelta.
>
> Why don't we add datetime.timedelta support to time.sleep? Very same thing.

yup -- and it there were a lot of commonly used APIs that took strings, and
multiple timedelta implementations, then it would make sense to introduce a
__seconds_int__ protocol.

I don't think the use-cases rise to that level, myself. Though if someone
wanted to put a call in to obj.totalseconds() into time.sleep, that might
actually be worth it :-)

(now that yo mention it -- I have a substantial library that uses seconds
internally, and currently has an ugly sometimes integer seconds, sometimes
timedelta API -- maybe I'll introduce that protocol. Not sure why I didn't
think of that before now.

Because I'm passing it to modfoo.dosomethingwithafile() which takes a
>> filename and passes it to shutils, which passes it to builtin open,
>> which passes it to os.open.
>>
>> Should Path grow a dosomethingwithmodfoo method?

It can't -- modfoo could be a third-party module -- it is impossible for
Path to grow everything that any third party module might support.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov