[Python-Dev] pathlib - current status of discussions

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Apr 13 13:10:09 EDT 2016

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 at 22:38 Michael Mysinger via Python-Dev <
python-dev at python.org> wrote:

> Ethan Furman <ethan <at> stoneleaf.us> writes:
>
> > Do we allow bytes to be returned from os.fspath()?  If yes, then do we
> > allow bytes from __fspath__()?
>
> De-lurking. Especially since the ultimate goal is better interoperability,
> feel like an implementation that people can play with would help guide the
> few remaining decisions. To help test the various options you could
> temporarily add a _allow_bytes=GLOBAL_CONFIG_OPTION default argument to
> both
> pathlib.__fspath__() and os.fspath(), with distinct configurable defaults
> for
> each.
>
> In the spirit of Python 3 I feel like bytes might not be needed in
> practice,
> but something like this with defaults of False will allow people to easily
> test all the various options.

https://gist.github.com/brettcannon/b3719f54715787d54a206bc011869aa1 has
the four potential approaches implemented (although it doesn't follow the
"separate functions" approach some are proposing and instead goes with the
allow_bytes approach I originally proposed).