[Python-Dev] Pathlib enhancements - acceptable inputs and outputs for __fspath__ and os.fspath()

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 17:14:19 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 7:05 AM, Koos Zevenhoven <k7hoven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>> On 04/17/2016 06:58 AM, Koos Zevenhoven wrote:
>>
>>> So, as a summary: With a str+bytes-polymorphic __fspath__, with the
>>> above argumentation and the rough implementation of os.fspath(...),
>>> the conclusion is that the os.fspath function should indeed be public,
>>> and that no further variations are needed.
>>

>> Nice summation, thank you.  :)
>>

> Come on, Ethan, that summary was not for you ;) It was for lazy
> people, people with bad memory, or people not so involved in the
> topic. I wrote a big post, provided new arguments, with other points
> collected into the same logical framework, wrote a new version of
> os.fspath and argued why it is the right one --- and all you do is
> read the stupid summary. You can do better than that: read the whole
> thing! ;-).

Yes, but people like me who haven't read every single post appreciate
the vote of support from someone who has. Ethan's post says that this
one-paragraph summary has twice as much weight as it had when only one
person attests it.

So, thank you Koos for summarizing, and thank you Ethan for affirming
the summary.

ChrisA