[Python-Dev] Pathlib enhancements - acceptable inputs and outputs for __fspath__ and os.fspath()

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 19:08:42 EDT 2016

On Apr 18, 2016 3:19 PM, "Ethan Furman" <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 04/18/2016 12:54 PM, Wes Turner wrote:
>
>> Don't we *have* to always support bytes because other programs can
>> create filenames containing bytes?
>

> Yes, but not every function has to support bytes.

Because there's no function overloading in Python, we then must have
explicit typing conditionals.

I haven't the time to dig through and compare this with the other fine
solutions presented; is there a reason that a proxy/facade PrimitiveType
wouldn't solve for this?

class TextThing:
  __init__(self, data):
      self.data = data