[Python-Dev] I hope this won't be my last comment here ~ yet it may well be...

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 21 18:43:08 EDT 2016

 I'm really confused -- you had a handful of very positive responses to
your offer to help with Python on Windows.

Then a couple off the cuff remarks (at least one of which was serious)
about what is often known as "the bus factor":

But I think you may want to take into account the history here. This has
been talked about A LOT in the Python community for years -- so we may be a
bit blase about it. Note that Wikipedia's page on the bus factor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor

"""An early instance of this sort of query was when Michael McLay publicly
asked, in 1994, what would happen to the Python language
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_(programming_language)> if Guido van
Rossum <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_van_Rossum> were hit by a bus.
[8] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor#cite_note-8>"""

So this has been very, very well hashed out in the Python community.

And a quick look at the existence of this list, the messages on it, and the
source repo will tell you that Python is in no way a personal project of
one person. (not to mentions the PSF)

I think the lessons here are:

- don't be too sensitive

and, important for every open source community:

- your comments and questions will be taken far more seriously if you have
done your homework.

-CHB

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 4:54 AM, Burkhard Meier <burkhardameier at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Please do allow me to share my humble experiences of being a software
> professional on a Windows platform.
>
> Almost 20 years.
>
> You know what; when I tried out 'sugar Linux' or Peppermint,,,the "admin'
> dude kicked me out 5 times in one sole eve,
>
> Maybe this is just *me*..
>
> You know what: I did have my time with this *open source community*...
>
> I was just asking a sincere question.
>
> C'mon
>
> This was rather very ridiculous.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov