[Python-Dev] Terminal console

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Apr 26 11:40:30 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 08:45:20AM -0400, Franklin? Lee wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2016 4:02 AM, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 25 April 2016 at 23:55, Franklin? Lee <leewangzhong+python at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > FWIW, Gmail's policies require:
> > [...]
> > > That link is currently the only obvious way to unsubscribe.
> >
> > I'm not sure why gmail's policies should apply to this list.
>
> They're Gmail's policies on how not to get your messages filtered by Gmail
> as spam.
>
> I am not clear on whether they're descriptive (i.e. users will mark you as
> spam) or prescriptive (i.e. Google's algorithms will determine that you're
> spam).

I don't think it's just Google. If I remember correctly, having a
clearly visible and *working* unsubscribe link in the body of the email
(not merely hidden away in the headers where non-technical users would
never think to look) is a requirement for the CanSpam act, or whatever
it was called.

In any case, whether it is a legal or practical requirement or not, it's
a fairly small burden. As I see it, the only time it causes a (tiny)
issue is if somebody accidently includes the footer from a list mail
they received when forwarding to somebody else (or sending to the list),
and the receiver mistakenly (or in an attempt to cause trouble) clicks
on that link. Which is harmless.

Considering how many hundreds, thousands (hundreds of thousands?
sometimes it feels like that *wink*) of emails go through this list
alone, I don't think this is a problem that needs fixing.

--
Steve