[Python-Dev] Needs to install python 3.4.4 in RHEL 6

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 11:38:22 EDT 2016

Hi Nilesh,

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 7:00 AM, Nilesh Date <nileshdate1990 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> I wanted to install python version 3.4.4 in my RHEL 6 system.
> Can someone give installation process or any reference link from which I can
> get required steps and download desire package.

You have a couple of options.

Option 1: use software collections [1].  As I vaguely understand it
(having never used this myself), the rh-python34 package is supported
by Red Hat, and is like any other package for the most part.  Looking
at that page it does look a bit more complex than option 2 to me, but
I've built and installed Python several times over the past few years
:)

Option 2: compile and install yourself.  At a minimum, you'll need a c
compiler (gcc, icc, or clang are recommended), and development headers
for any extension modules that you require (I'd recommend
openssl-devel and readline-devel at the least).  Then download the
source [2], extract it, and run `cd Python-3.4.4 && ./configure &&
make profile-opt && make test && sudo make install`.  That series of
commands will give you python installed in `/usr/local/` that has been
compiled with profile-guided optimization (PGO) and has passed the
full Python test suite.  If any but the last step fails, nothing will
have changed on your system.

[1] https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/rh-python34/
[2] https://www.python.org/downloads/source/

Hope this helps,