[Python-Dev] Status of the Argument Clinic DSL

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 18:45:39 EDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:

> AFAIK the Clinic DSL can handle all of Python's C extensions.  I have no
> plans to "revise the whole approach"; if someone else does I haven't heard
> about it.

I was just wondering that with so much effort to bring typing to the
mainstream, a more "pythonic" DSL may emerge for describing the signatures
of functions in C modules.

BTW, is there any document describing the syntax of "text signatures" such
as:

>>> os.rename.__text_signature__
'($module, /, src, dst, *, src_dir_fd=None, dst_dir_fd=None)'

?

What does the "$module, /," part mean?