[Python-Dev] C99

Hugh Fisher hugo.fisher at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 20:08:08 EDT 2016

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2016 14:27:15 +0900
> From: INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com>
> To: Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>
> Cc: Ned Deily <nad at python.org>, Python-Dev <python-dev at python.org>
> Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] C99
>
> I think these features may improve C code readability.
> (Easy feature first).
>
> * // one line comment
>
> * inline function
> static inline function can be used instead of may macros.
> It is more readable, and type safe.

My experience from a few months ago with some cross-platform code is
that clang, GCC and MSVC have different ideas about how inline
functions in C work. Are they static or extern? Do you need provide an
implementation body somewhere?

There are also differences between the C++ and C99 definitions.

Probably all solvable with build settings, but not as easy as one line comments.

--

        cheers,
        Hugh Fisher