[Python-Dev] libmpdec already uses and compiles with -std=c99 -pedantic everywhere

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Sun Aug 7 06:59:58 EDT 2016

The following C99 features are supported by any buildbot compiler (including
obscure ones on snakebite):

  - stdint.h

  - static inline functions in header files

  - extern inline functions (not really necessary for CPython)

  - variadic macros

I'd like to add:

  - standard conforming C99 spelling of the "struct hack" (supported by gcc
    since I can remember).  Our current way leads to problems for some
    analyzers.

Some people (not me) would like:

  - variable declarations everywhere (rather than only at the beginning
    of blocks).

I think this would probably be enough for the start. Obviously things
like variable-length arrays should never be used anyway.

Stefan Krah