[Python-Dev] C99

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Mon Aug 8 04:02:45 EDT 2016

Ned Deily writes:

 > But the point I was trying to make is that, by changing the
 > language requirement, we will likely have an effect on what
 > platforms (across the board) and versions we support and we should
 > take that into account when making this decision.  It may be the
 > right decision, in balance, to drop support for some of these but
 > we shouldn't do it by accident.

Sure, you were clear enough about that.  My point was simply that at
least for older Macs it probably is not that big a problem (but I do
have a Panther still running, at least as of March it did ;-).

Similarly, for platforms where we build with GCC, many of these
features have been available for a long time with switches.

Adding it all up, we don't want to break anybody inadvertantly and we
should take care to fix what breakage we can in advance, but I think
it's time to allow at least some of these features, and maybe move to
C99 wholesale.

Steve