[Python-Dev] Review request: issue 27350, compact ordered dict

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 11:06:30 EDT 2016

Hello everyone.

I did do only a cursory look on that one, but I would like to
reiterate that this gives huge benefits in general and we measured
nice speedups on pypy (where all the dicts are ordered forever):

* you can essentially kill OrderedDict or make it almost OrderedDict =
dict (in pypy it's a simple dict subclass that has one or two extra
things that OrderedDict has in the API)
* there are nice speedups
* the C version of OrderedDict can be killed
* it saves memory, on 64bit by quite a bit (not everyone stores more
than 4bln items in a dictionary)
* it solves the problem of tests relying on order in dictionaries

In short, it has no downsides