[Python-Dev] Supported versions of OpenSSL

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Aug 29 18:56:00 EDT 2016

On Aug 29, 2016, at 12:33 PM, Cory Benfield wrote:

>Can someone explain to me why this is a use-case we care about?

I do think it would be nice to be able to compile newer versions of Python on
stock LTS releases, especially for people developing software that they want
to support on a wide-range of Python 3 versions.

Sure, you can use your container of choice, and there are ways around this,
but every hurdle just makes it more of a pain to do.  So I'd say if we can
keep the compatibility without too much effort, and without sacrificing the
security or maintainability of the code, we should do it.  If we can't, we
can't.

Cheers,
-Barry