[Python-Dev] PEP 526 ready for review: Syntax for Variable and Attribute Annotations

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Aug 30 17:20:26 EDT 2016

I'm happy to present PEP 526 for your collective review:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0526/ (HTML)
https://github.com/python/peps/blob/master/pep-0526.txt (source)

There's also an implementation ready:
https://github.com/ilevkivskyi/cpython/tree/pep-526

I don't want to post the full text here but I encourage feedback on
the high-order ideas, including but not limited to

- Whether (given PEP 484's relative success) it's worth adding syntax
for variable/attribute annotations.

- Whether the keyword-free syntax idea proposed here is best:
  NAME: TYPE
  TARGET: TYPE = VALUE

Note that there's an extensive list of rejected ideas in the PEP;
please be so kind to read it before posting here:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0526/#rejected-proposals-and-things-left-out-for-now

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)