[Python-Dev] Someons's put a "Python 2.8" on GitHub

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Dec 10 03:09:31 EST 2016

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 09:56:44PM -0800, Larry Hastings wrote:

> "Python 2.8 is a backwards-compatible Python interpreter with new
> features from Python 3.x. It was produced by forking Python 2.7.12 and
> backporting
[...]
> https://github.com/naftaliharris/python2.8

I seem to recall that when we discussed the future of Python 2.x, and
the decision that 2.7 would be the final version and there would be no
2.8, we reached a consensus that if anyone did backport Python 3
features to a Python 2 fork, they should not call it Python 2.8 as that
could mislead people into thinking it was officially supported.

I think the project should be renamed to make it clear that its a fork,
like Stackless.

--
Steve