[Python-Dev] Someons's put a "Python 2.8" on GitHub

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Dec 10 05:15:30 EST 2016

On 12/10/2016 4:05 AM, David Mertz wrote:
> I'm forwarding this to the PSF Trademarks committee. If there is a
> violation, it's a misuse of trademark, not copyright on the code which
> has the Python license stack.

I believe that this 'derived work' is both a trademark and a license
violation.  Clause 7 of the PSF License V. 2, as displayed by '>>>
license()', explicitly denies permission to make derivative works that
violate PSF Trademarks.  Perhaps Github and Infoworld should be informed
also, but our lawyer can decide.

"This License Agreement does not grant permission to use PSF
trademarks ..."

Perhaps that document should mention somewhere at the top that "Python"
is a PSF Trademark for computer languages.

> I'm on that committee and agree this is improper use. Let's see what
> other members think.
>
> On Dec 10, 2016 12:19 AM, "Barry Warsaw" <barry at python.org
> <mailto:barry at python.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Dec 10, 2016, at 07:09 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>     >I seem to recall that when we discussed the future of Python 2.x,
>     and the
>     >decision that 2.7 would be the final version and there would be no
>     2.8, we
>     >reached a consensus that if anyone did backport Python 3 features
>     to a Python
>     >2 fork, they should not call it Python 2.8 as that could mislead
>     people into
>     >thinking it was officially supported.
>     >
>     >I think the project should be renamed to make it clear that its a fork,
>     >like Stackless.
>
>     Yes, exactly right.  It's not sanctioned by the PSF and should not
>     be called
>     "Python" anything.
>
>     -Barry

Terry Jan Reedy