[Python-Dev] Someons's put a "Python 2.8" on GitHub

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat Dec 10 16:22:06 EST 2016

On Dec 10, 2016 10:42 AM, "Wes Turner" <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

and this is on purpose, since Python is BSD software which
> anyone can use, modify, fork, etc.

So, otherwise everyone who forks for any reason is in violation of the
trademark policy?

The trademark issue has nothing to do with the code copyright or forking.
PyPy, Brython, IronPython, Jython are all distinct code bases that
implement (mostly) the same language semantics. Probably all of those use
some code from CPython, but even if some other implementation used zero
common code it wouldn't matter.

None of those projects are allowed to call their next release "Python 2.8"
either, regardless of precise semantics implemented. I could call some
project Foothon 2.8 if I wanted, because it wouldn't invite confusion about
official status for the PDF.