[Python-Dev] Someons's put a "Python 2.8" on GitHub

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Dec 10 22:11:18 EST 2016

On 12/10/2016 5:28 PM, Wes Turner wrote:

> So forks with modules added or removed cannot be called Python?

Distributions that make parts of the stdlib optional are not forks.  The
PSF Windows installer makes tcl/tk, tkinter, IDLE, and turtle? modules
optional.

Distributions that package additional modules with unmodified python x.y
are also, to me, not forks.  But they are always given other names for
the combined package.  ActiveState Python, Enthought Python, Anaconda
(Python).  Separate names for separate distribution allow people to
search for particular distributions and discuss questions like "Which
distribution is best for purpose A?"

I am sure that ActiveState Software Inc. would not be happy if you
distributed Python + selected modules and called it 'ActiveState Python'
;-),  Some for other distributions.

--
Terry Jan Reedy