[Python-Dev] Python 3.6.0rc2 coming soon, 3.6.0 final now 2016-12-23

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 04:23:44 EST 2016

Ned Deily:
> Alas, in the last few days at least one outstanding issue that we had hoped would not be a real-world problem has proven to be a showstopper during third-party package testing and I have been persuaded that we do need to fix it before 3.6.0 final.  I take responsibility and apologize for not ensuring it was resolved earlier in the release cycle; I'll try to do better next time.

No need to apologize, you are doing a great job! I'm not surprised at
all that major bugs are still found just a few days before the final
release: many people wait just before a final release to test their
code.

I'm happy that such bugs are found _before_ a release. Bugs like "my
applications takes 4 GB of memory with Python 3.6 but 40 MB with
Python 3.5" (#28147) seem so big that it would be a shame to "ship"
such bug in a final release!

> FYI: Here is a list of the post 3.6.0rc1 changesets that have been cherrypicked so far for 3.6.0rc2.  There will likely be at least one more.  (Note, the description and files list below for some changesets may be truncated.)

test_gdb is broken in the RC1. To fix test_gdb, I convinced Ned to
also cherry-pick:
---
changeset:   105342:752863f96fb8
user:        Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
date:        Tue Nov 22 22:53:18 2016 +0100
files:       Lib/test/test_gdb.py Tools/gdb/libpython.py
Issue #28770: Update python-gdb.py for fastcalls

Frame.is_other_python_frame() now also handles _PyCFunction_FastCallDict()
frames.

Thanks to the new code to handle fast calls, python-gdb.py is now also able to
detect the <built-in id method of module ...> frame.
----

Victor