[Python-Dev] [python-committers] Should I delay 3.5.3 and 3.4.6 by two weeks?

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 20 05:25:14 EST 2016

On 19.12.2016 06:26, Larry Hastings wrote:
> Python 3.6.0 final just slipped by two weeks.  I scheduled 3.5.3 and 3.4.6 to
> ship about a month after 3.6.0 did, to "let the dust settle" around the
> release.  I expect a flood of adoption of 3.6, and people switching will find
> bugs, and maybe those bugs are in 3.5 or 3.4.  So it just seemed sensible.
> 3.6 just slipped by two weeks.  So now there's less than two weeks between 3.6.0
> final shipping and tagging the release canddiates for 3.5.3 and 3.4.6.  This
> isn't as much time as I'd like.
> If I had total freedom to do as I liked, I'd slip my releases by two weeks to
> match 3.6.  But there might be people planning around 3.5.3 and 3.4.6--like
> Guido was waiting for 3.5.3 for something iirc.
> So, if you have an opinion, please vote for one of these three options:
>  * Don't slip 3.5.3. and 3.4.6.
>  * Slip 3.5.3 and 3.4.6 by two weeks to match 3.6.0.
>  * Slip 3.5.3 and 3.4.6 by a whole month, to give 3.6.0 the ability to
>    slip again without us having to change the release.

I would appreciate a 3.5.3 release which doesn't slip, or which only slips by a
week, to be available before the Debian freeze.  Neither Debian nor Ubuntu ship
the 3.4 branch anymore, so for 3.4 I'm fine with any solution.


More information about the Python-Dev mailing list