[Python-Dev] Merry Christmas to me, and Python users everywhere

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Mon Dec 26 04:25:56 EST 2016

I didn't see an announcement that 3.6.0 had actually been released, but
I have been longing for the ability to actually write UTF-8 strings to
the console without using "ascii" or "json.dumps" to avoid the cp437
codec, and be able to write characters from other the whole Unicode
repertoire. I was sitting here wishing I could better read some such
output...

The schedule was 23 December 2016. I decided to see if it had been released.

It seems to be there on Python.org!

I installed it today, which is, as far as I am concerned, still
Christmas until I go to bed, which will be soon, and it is really still
Christmas in Hawaii as I type this.  So Merry Christmas to me, and to
Python users everywhere.

And I changed one of my many programs that want to print UTF-8 to the
console, and it worked. I am happy.

Many, many thanks to Steve Dower, who actually pushed the PEPs into the
release, as well as all the other people that have been involved in
incremental reports, workarounds, and ideas throughout the course of
Issue1602.

And congratulations to everyone on a successful release.

Glenn