[Python-Dev] Python environment registration in the Windows Registry

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Wed Feb 3 18:45:28 EST 2016

On 03Feb2016 1120, Alexander Walters wrote:
> Uh.... its C:\Anaconda[2]\ for anyone running the installer with the
> privileges to edit the registry... (It wont ask to elevate unless you
> install for all users, and that's where all users will install).  So on
> that point alone, this saves nothing substantive really.  (I will go off
> on python35 installing in insane locations some other time.)

The install location is customisable, and users can always write to
their own registry hive.

The same applies to Python, so you can choose to install it as
conveniently or as securely as you like. In either case, other
applications need a guaranteed place to find these installations, and
that place is the system registry.

Cheers,
Steve