[Python-Dev] Issue #26204: compiler now emits a SyntaxWarning on constant statement

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 16:20:24 EST 2016

Le 8 févr. 2016 9:34 PM, "Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> a écrit :
> If you want to do linter integration that should probably be
> integrated with the user's editor, like it is in PyCharm, and IIUC
> people can do this in e.g. Emacs, Sublime or Vim as well. Leave the
> interpreter alone.

In GCC, warnings are welcome because it does one thing: compile code. GCC
is used by developers. Users use the produced binary.

In Python, it's different because it executes code and runs code. It's used
by developers and users.

It's more tricky to make choices like showing or not deprecation warnings.

It looks like most Python developers prefer to use an external linter.

I don't really care of the warning, I will remove it.

> I haven't seen this warning yet. I take it this is new in the 3.6 branch?

Yes it's a recent change in the default branch (a few hours ago).

Victor