[Python-Dev] Issue #26204: compiler now emits a SyntaxWarning on constant statement

John Mark Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 17:14:36 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What incantation do you need to do to make that behavior apparent?
>
> I didn't know. I just checked. It's assert used with a non-empty tuple:

> <stdin>:1: SyntaxWarning: assertion is always true, perhaps remove parentheses?

And pyflakes also has a check for this, but it is similarly tight.

https://github.com/pyflakes/pyflakes/pull/51

It seems that the pyflakes maintainers tend to only accepts patches
for scenarios that Python does emit a SyntaxWarning.
So it is a bit of catch-22 there wrt unused constants.

pylint of course reports these unused constants with its message id
"pointless-statement".

--
John Vandenberg