[Python-Dev] Windows: Remove support of bytes filenames in the os module?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 03:08:36 EST 2016

On 9 February 2016 at 01:57, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
<chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:OTOH, it's a
> All I can say is "ouch". Hard to call it a regression to no longer
> allow this mess..

OTOH, it's a major regression for someone using an 8-bit codepage that
doesn't have these problems. Code that worked fine for them now
doesn't.

I dislike "works for some people" solutions as much as anyone, but
breaking code that does the job that people need it to is not
something we should do lightly (if at all).

Paul