[Python-Dev] Windows: Remove support of bytes filenames in theos module?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 04:28:07 EST 2016

On 10 February 2016 at 08:45, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Whether removing the bytes interface is feasible, given that there's
>> then no way that works across Python 2 and 3 of writing code that
>> manipulates the sort of bytes-that-use-multiple-encodings data that
>> you mention, is a separate issue.
>
> It's annoying that 8 years after the release of Python 3.0, Python 3
> is still stuck by Python 2 :-(

Agreed. Of course personally, I'm in favour of going Python 3/Unicode
everywhere, it's the Unix guys with their legacy distros and Python
installations and bytes-based filesystems that get in the way of that
:-) And I don't think we're brave enough to force *Unix* users to use
the right type for filenames :-)

Paul