[Python-Dev] PEP 515: Underscores in Numeric Literals

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Feb 11 14:01:26 EST 2016

On 02/11/2016 10:50 AM, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
 > I have strong preference for more strict and simpler rule, used by
 > most other languages -- "only between two digits". Main arguments:

 > 2. Most languages use this rule. It is better to follow non-formal
 > standard that invent the rule that differs from rules in every other
 > language. This will help programmers that use multiple languages.

If Python followed other languages in everything:

1) Python would not need to exist; and
2) Python would suck  ;)

If our rule is more permissive that other languages then cross-language
developers can still use the same style in both languages, without
penalizing those who want to use the extra freedom in Python.

--
~Ethan~