[Python-Dev] Wordcode v2

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 15 02:14:46 EST 2016

On Feb 14, 2016, at 19:05, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> I think it's probably too soon to discuss on python-dev, but I do
> think that something like this could be attempted in 3.6 or (more
> likely) 3.7, if it really is faster.
>
> An unfortunate issue however is that many projects seem to make a
> hobby of hacking bytecode.
> All those projects would have to be totally
> rewritten in order to support the new wordcode format (as opposed to
> just having to be slightly adjusted to support the occasional new
> bytecode opcode).

This is part of why I suggested, on -ideas, that we should add a mutating/assembling API to the dis module. People argued that such an API would make the bytecode format more fragile, but the exact opposite is true.

At the dis level, everything is unchanged by wordcode. Or by Serhiy's args-packed-in-opcode. So, if the dis module could do everything for people that, say, the third-party byteplay module does (which wouldn't take much), so things like coverage.py, or the various special-case optimizer decorators on PyPI and ActiveState, etc. could all be written to deal with the dis module format rather than raw bytecode, we could make changes like this without risking nearly as much breakage.

Anyway, this obviously wouldn't help the transition for 3.6. But improving dis in 3.6, with a warning that raw bytecode might start changing more frequently and/or radically in the future now that there's less reason to depend on it, might help if wordcode were to go into 3.7.

> All of which means that it's more likely to make it into 3.7. See you
> on python-ideas!
>
> --Guido
>
>> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Demur Rumed <gunkmute at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Saw recent discussion:
>> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2016-February/143013.html
>>
>> I remember trying WPython; it was fast. Unfortunately it feels it came at
>> the wrong time when development was invested in getting py3k out the door.
>> It also had a lot of other ideas like *_INT instructions which allowed
>> having oparg to be a constant int rather than needing to LOAD_CONST one.
>> Anyways I'll stop reminiscing

Despite the name (and inspiration), my fork has very little to do with WPython. I'm just focused on simpler (hopefully = faster) fetch code; he started with that, but ended up going the exact opposite direction, accepting more complicated (and much slower) fetch code as a reasonable cost for drastically reducing the number of instructions. (If you double the 30% fetch-and-parse overhead per instruction, but cut the number of instructions to 40%, the net is a huge win.)