[Python-Dev] Very old git mirror under github user "python-git"

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sun Feb 28 12:46:36 EST 2016

On 02/27/2016 11:45 PM, Matthias Bussonnier wrote:
> Hi all,
>

>> On Feb 27, 2016, at 14:21, Alexander Walters <tritium-list at sdamon.com
>> <mailto:tritium-list at sdamon.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Can we even ask github to pull it down and reasonably expect them to comply?
>>  Their entire model is built on everyone forking everyone else.
>
> Why the model is everyone forking, some of the help page of GitHub actually tell
> you to contact GitHub support, like if you desire to "detach" a fork.
>
> Every reasonable requests I made to GitHub and the few interactions I had with
> the support always went well.
> This did include asking GitHub to contact user as their pages were confusing,
> and might be misleading others.
>
> So I would suggest
>
> 1) asking GitHub to contact author, potentially forwarding him/her a message
> from this list asking him/her to bring that down or transfer the control to you.
> That should be easy to do as it will not force GitHub to provide anyone with the
> emails of the the owner of python-git.
>
> 2) in the case of no response from author ask politely GitHub that the repo is
> confusing for user, and ask what they can do about that.

These are both fine.  Although I don't see much confusion; there's bound to be
hundreds of forks of CPython, if not already, then definitely once we move to
GitHub.

> 3) If still nothing can be done make a DMCA request. You can likely argue that
> the logo/name are used without PSF content.
> https://help.github.com/articles/dmca-takedown-policy/

Please no.  There is absolutely no call using such a blunt instrument, just for
a case of minor inconvenience.  It could also be blown up into a PR disaster,
probably rightly so.

cheers,
Georg