[Python-Dev] Very old git mirror under github user "python-git"

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 13:18:54 EST 2016

Hello,

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 18:46:36 +0100
Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:

[]

> > 3) If still nothing can be done make a DMCA request. You can likely
> > argue that the logo/name are used without PSF content.
> > https://help.github.com/articles/dmca-takedown-policy/
>
> Please no.  There is absolutely no call using such a blunt
> instrument, just for a case of minor inconvenience.  It could also be
> blown up into a PR disaster, probably rightly so.

I can't believe my eyes that I read such a thread already. The poor
repo clearly states it's unofficial mirror. Some dudes without much
clue (*1) submit pull requests against it. So what - someone getting
jealous? Well deserved - there could have been support for the leading
version control system and very popular hosting site long, long
ago.

But well, if you want those pull requests, go and add friendly note to
each along the lines "Hi, you submitted your PR against unattended,
unofficial mirror, there's now official Py repo at ..., we encourage
you to resubmit your patch against it". Nope, shutdown/exterminate.

*1: See username of the submitter of
https://github.com/python-git/python/issues/12

--
Best regards,