[Python-Dev] Branches in which to fix the SSL tests

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jan 7 04:57:08 EST 2016

On 07.01.2016 04:06, Martin Panter wrote:
> Currently some SSL tests in the test suite are broken by a recent
> certificate change at https://svn.python.org/; see
> <https://bugs.python.org/issue25940> for the bug report. The tests are
> broken when the test suite is run with the “-unetwork” option enabled,
> and most of the buildbots appear to be affected. (In 3.6 the tests
> have temporarily been disabled as a workaround.) I have a simple patch
> that subsitutes the old root certificate for the new which I would
> like to commit, but I’m not sure which branches to apply it to, or
> even which branches are open to normal maintainence and bug fixes.

As mentioned on the issue tracker I'm not convinced that your
patch is a good solution going forward. Rather than basing
the test on svn.python.org, which can change again in the
future, we should use the domain we have specifically
reserved for stdlib tests, namely pythontest.net and get this
set up in a way so that we can run SSL tests again.

I can help with getting SSL certificates for pythontest.net,
since I'm managing the PSF SSL certificates (well, trying to
keep those managed anyway ;-) - I was not involved in the
choice of new CA for svn.python.org):

https://wiki.python.org/psf/PSF%20SSL%20Certificates

Regarding which branches to apply the final fix, others have
already chimed in. Essentially, any branch which we'll need
to run tests on in the foreseeable future will need to be fixed,
since the change in svn.python.org's SSL setup (the expired
certificate which caused the tests to fail was replaced with
a new one from a different CA, again causing tests to fail)
affects all released test suites.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Jan 07 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/