[Python-Dev] Building with VS2015

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 23:03:47 EST 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Alexander Walters
<tritium-list at sdamon.com> wrote:
> This is a mailing list for the development of python itself, not support for
> building it.  That said...
>
> 3.4 uses visual studio 2010, for starters.  3.5 uses 2015.

Agreed with all of the above.

You'll be much happier using either 3.5 with VS 2015, or 3.4 with VS
2010.  You might coerce things the other way around, but you won't get
official support for it and you won't match the rest of the world (in
particular, binary packages from PyPI won't work).

> It also looks like you have a lot of missing dependencies.

Run `PCbuild\get_externals.bat` after installing Subversion (and
ensuring that svn.exe is on PATH) to resolve the missing dependencies.
The other errors will require patching the source, and it's too late
in the 3.4 release cycle for those patches to be accepted for 3.4.5.
I also find it much simpler to use `PCbuild\build.bat` instead of
building from the VS GUI.  A 32bit Release build with all the optional
pieces can be accomplished with `PCbuild\build.bat -e`; add '-p x64'
for a 64bit build.

--
Zach