[Python-Dev] Update PEP 7 to require curly braces in C

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 06:57:58 EST 2016

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 10:42 PM, Maciej Szulik <soltysh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
>>

>> On 01/17/2016 11:10 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>>
>> Anyone object if I update PEP 7 to remove the optionality of curly braces
>> in PEP 7?
>>

>> I'm -1.  I don't like being forced to add the curly braces when the code
>> is perfectly clear without them.  If this was a frequent problem then I'd
>> put up with it, but I can't recall ever making this particular mistake
>> myself or seeing it in CPython source.  It seems to me like a fix for a
>> problem we don't have.
>>

> I'm +1. We don't have that problem yet and the idea Brett brought up is for
> future changes that will happen.
> We'll be soon moving to github, which should simplify the process of
> submitting PRs from other developers
> interested in making our beautiful language even more awesome. I'm quite
> positive that with current review
> process that kind of bug should not happen, but you never know. Having this
> as a requirement is rather to
> minimize the risk of potentially having such bugs. I've switched to this
> style myself good couple years ago
> and I find it very readable atm.

Rather than forcing people to use braces, wouldn't it be easier to
just add a linter to the toolchain that will detect those kinds of
problems and reject the commit? Which might be as simple as telling a
compiler to treat this warning as an error, and then always use that
compiler at some point before committing. (I don't know how many
compilers can check this.) I'm -1 on forcing people to use a
particular style when a script could do the same job more reliably.

ChrisA