[Python-Dev] PEP 509: Add a private version to dict

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jan 18 18:04:10 EST 2016

On Jan 18, 2016, at 11:43 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:

>Is someone opposed to this PEP 509?
>
>The main complain was the change on the public Python API, but the PEP
>doesn't change the Python API anymore.
>
>I'm not aware of any remaining issue on this PEP.

Have you done any performance analysis for a wide range of Python
applications?  Did you address my suggestion on python-ideas to make the new C
API optionally compiled in?

I still think this is maintenance and potential performance overhead we don't
want to commit to long term unless it enables significant optimization.  Since
you probably can't prove that without some experimentation, this API should be
provisional.

Cheers,
-Barry