[Python-Dev] Update PEP 7 to require curly braces in C

Stefan Krah skrah.temporarily at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 05:29:07 EST 2016

M.-A. Lemburg <mal <at> egenix.com> writes:
> > Currently this thread stands at:
>
> Make that:
>
> > +1
> >   Brett
> >   Ethan
> >   Robert
> >   Georg
> >   Nick
> >   Maciej Szulik
> > +0
> >   Guido
> > -0
> >   Serhiy
> > -1
>     MAL
> >   Victor (maybe; didn't specifically vote)
> >   Larry
> >   Stefan

I want to clarify my position a bit: Personally, in _decimal/* I've
always used braces and I prefer that.

But from reading the Python sources in general, I got the impression
that the default style at least for one-liner if-statements is to
omit braces. So, in memoryview.c, I adapted to that style.

I think enforcing braces won't do anything for security. DJB (who
had a single exploit found in qmail in 20 years) even uses nested
for-loops without braces.

IMO secure code can only be achieved by auditing it quietly in
a terminal, not being distracted by peripheral things like
version control and web interfaces (green merge buttons!) and
trying to do formal proofs (if time allows for it).

So I would not want to enforce a style if it makes some people
unhappy.

Stefan Krah