[Python-Dev] Code formatter bot

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Wed Jan 20 02:29:43 EST 2016

Indeed, automated code formatting is a good thing. But a bot is the wrong
approach. You want a code formatting checker as a potential pre-submit hook
(like we have had for white space issues in the past), but until you have
super high confidence in it you need to make sure it is not a blocker for a
commit or push, just a default check that can be explicitly skipped for the
infrequent cases where it is wrong. It's a workflow thing. Devs should have
their editor setup to auto-run the correct formatter or easily run it if
not automatic.

-gps