[Python-Dev] Code formatter bot

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 19:28:36 EST 2016

> On Jan 19, 2016, at 12:59 PM, francismb <francismb at email.de> wrote:
>
> Dear Core-Devs,
> what's your opinion about a code-formatter bot for cpython.
> Pros, Cons, where could be applicable (new commits, new workflow, it
> doesn't make sense), ...
>

> - At least it should follow PEP 7 ;-)

Please don't do this.  It misses the spirit of how the style-guides are intended to be used.

"I personally hate with a vengeance that there are tools named after style guide PEPs that claim to enforce the guidelines from those PEPs. The tools' rigidity and simplicity reflects badly on the PEPs, which try hard not to be rigid or simplistic." -- GvR
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2016-January/142643.html

"PEP 8 unto thyself, not onto others" -- Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-BqAjZb8M
(the most popular talk from last year's Pycon)

Almost nothing that is wrong with CPython is stylistic, the real issues are more substantive.  That is where you should devote your talents.

Raymond Hettinger