[Python-Dev] Code formatter bot

francismb francismb at email.de
Mon Jan 25 14:55:38 EST 2016

Hi,

On 01/25/2016 01:28 AM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

>> - At least it should follow PEP 7 ;-)
>
> Please don't do this.  It misses the spirit of how the style-guides are intended to be used.
>
> "I personally hate with a vengeance that there are tools named after style guide PEPs that claim to enforce the guidelines from those PEPs. The tools' rigidity and simplicity reflects badly on the PEPs, which try hard not to be rigid or simplistic." -- GvR
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2016-January/142643.html

Good point, tools need to get better (more context sensitive), maybe
should work only as advisors and have just funny names (and not claim
the spirit).

> "PEP 8 unto thyself, not onto others" -- Me
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-BqAjZb8M
> (the most popular talk from last year's Pycon)
>
> Almost nothing that is wrong with CPython is stylistic, the real issues are more substantive.  That is where you should devote your talents.

Good advices and refactoring on your talk (and I love the gorilla part
but I think that the "color_distraction" trick doesn't work for "non
native" speakers as me ;-)) and indeed, that wanted to be my point:

Let's review what the code does and not 007-Things. It's was really
about the workflow not style, but I'll follow your advice.

Regards,
francis

PS: Interesting is also how/why do people introduce bug's by
reformatting or trying to beautify things (and how those can be avoided,
by allowing change).