[Python-Dev] FAT Python (lack of) performance

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 01:13:19 EST 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Andrew Barnert <abarnert at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2016, at 19:32, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Andrew Barnert <abarnert at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 25, 2016, at 18:21, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm very interested in it.
>> >
>> > Ruby 2.2 and PHP 7 are faster than Python 2.
>> > Python 3 is slower than Python 2.
>>
>> Says who?
>>

> For example, http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/php.html
> In Japanese, many people compares language performance by microbench like
> fibbonacci.
>

> "In Japan, the hand is sharper than a knife [man splits board with karate
> chop], but the same doesn't work with a tomato [man splatters tomato all
> over himself with karate chop]."
>
> A cheap knife really is better than a karate master at chopping tomatoes.
> And Python 2 really is better than Python 3 at doing integer arithmetic on
> the edge of what can fit into a machine word. But so what? Without seeing
> any of your Japanese web code, much less running a profiler, I'm willing to
> bet that your code is rarely CPU-bound, and, when it is, it spends a lot
> more time doing things like processing Unicode strings that are almost
> always UCS-2 (about 110% slower on Python 2) than doing this kind of
> arithmetic (9% faster on Python 2), or cutting tomatoes (TypeError on both
> versions).

Calm down, please.
I didn't say "microbench is more important than macrobench".

While editor is not a main problem of software development, people likes
comparing vim and emacs.
Like that, Japanese dev people likes comparing speed.

While it's not a real problem of typical application, new people should
choose first (and probably main)
editor and language.
Slowest on such a basic microbench gives bad impression for them.

Additionally, some application (e.g. traversing DOM) makes much function
calls.
Faster function call may makes some *real* application faster.

--
INADA Naoki  <songofacandy at gmail.com>