[Python-Dev] Speeding up CPython 5-10%

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 16:53:55 EST 2016

Damien,

On 2016-01-27 4:20 PM, Damien George wrote:
> Hi Yury,
>
> (Sorry for misspelling your name previously!)

NP.  As long as the first letter is "y" I don't care ;)

>> Yes, we'll need to add CALL_METHOD{_VAR|_KW|etc} opcodes to optimize all
>> kind of method calls.  However, I'm not sure how big the impact will be,
>> need to do more benchmarking.
> I never did such fine grained analysis with MicroPython.  I don't
> think there are many uses of * and ** that it'd be worth it, but
> definitely there are lots of uses of plain keywords.  Also, you'd want
> to consider how simple/complex it is to treat all these different
> opcodes in the compiler.  For us, it's simpler to treat everything the
> same.  Otherwise your LOAD_METHOD part of the compiler will need to
> peek deep into the AST to see what kind of call it is.
>
>> BTW, how do you benchmark MicroPython?
> Haha, good question!  Well, we use Pystone 1.2 (unmodified) to do
> basic benchmarking, and find it to be quite good.  We track our code
> live at:
>
> http://micropython.org/resources/code-dashboard/

The dashboard is cool!

An off-topic: have you ever tried hg.python.org/benchmarks
or compare MicroPython vs CPython?  I'm curious if MicroPython
is faster -- in that case we'll try to copy some optimization
ideas.

> You can see there the red line, which is the Pystone result.  There
> was a big jump around Jan 2015 which is when we introduced opcode
> dictionary caching.  And since then it's been very gradually
> increasing due to small optimisations here and there.

Do you use opcode dictionary caching only for LOAD_GLOBAL-like
opcodes?  Do you have an equivalent of LOAD_FAST, or you use
dicts to store local variables?

>> That's a neat idea!  You're right, it does require bytecode to become
>> writeable.  I considered implementing a similar strategy, but this would
>> be a big change for CPython.  So I decided to minimize the impact of the
>> patch and leave the opcodes untouched.
> I think you need to consider "big" changes, especially ones like this
> that can have a great (and good) impact.  But really, this is a
> behind-the-scenes change that *should not* affect end users, and so
> you should not have any second thoughts about doing it.

If we change the opcode size, it will probably affect libraries
that compose or modify code objects.  Modules like "dis" will
also need to be updated.  And that's probably just a tip of the
iceberg.

We can still implement your approach if we add a separate
private 'unsigned char' array to each code object, so that
LOAD_GLOBAL can store the key offsets.  It should be a bit
faster than my current patch, since it has one less level
of indirection.  But this way we loose the ability to
optimize LOAD_METHOD, simply because it requires more memory
for its cache.  In any case, I'll experiment!

> One problem I
> see with CPython is that it exposes way too much to the user (both
> Python programmer and C extension writer) and this hurts both language
> evolution (you constantly need to provide backwards compatibility) and
> ability to optimise.

Right.  Even though CPython explicitly states that opcodes
and code objects might change in the future, we still have to
be careful about changing them.

Yury