[Python-Dev] More optimisation ideas

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Sun Jan 31 11:56:21 EST 2016

Hi,

If you want to make startup time faster for a broad range of applications,
please consider adding a lazy import facility in the stdlib.
I recently tried to write a lazy import mechanism using import hooks
(to make it portable from 2.6 to 3.5), it seems nearly impossible to do
so (or, at least, for an average Python programmer like me).

This would be much more useful (for actual users, not for architecture
astronauts) than refactoring the importlib APIs in each feature version...

Thanks in advance

Antoine.