[Python-Dev] More optimisation ideas

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Jan 31 22:12:27 EST 2016

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 08:23:00PM +0000, Brett Cannon wrote:
> So freezing the stdlib helps on UNIX and not on OS X (if my old testing is
> still accurate). I guess the next question is what it does on Windows and
> if we would want to ever consider freezing the stdlib as part of the build
> process (and if we would want to change the order of importers on
> sys.meta_path so frozen modules came after file-based ones).

I find that being able to easily open stdlib .py files in a text editor
to read the source is extremely valuable. I've learned much more from
reading the source than from (e.g.) StackOverflow. Likewise, it's often
handy to do a grep over the stdlib. When you talk about freezing the
stdlib, what exactly does that mean?

- will the source files still be there?

- how will this affect people writing patches for bugs?

--
Steve