[Python-Dev] Automating the maintenance release pipeline (was Re: Request for CPython 3.5.3 release)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 19:34:43 EDT 2016

On 4 July 2016 at 00:39, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Another thought recently occurred to me. Do releases really have to be
> such big productions? A recent ACM article by Tom Limoncelli[1]
> reminded me that we're doing releases the old-fashioned way --
> infrequently, and with lots of manual labor. Maybe we could
> (eventually) try to strive for a lighter-weight, more automated
> release process? It would be less work, and it would reduce stress for
> authors of stdlib modules and packages -- there's always the next
> release. I would think this wouldn't obviate the need for carefully
> planned and timed "big deal" feature releases, but it could make the
> bug fix releases *less* of a deal, for everyone.

Yes, getting the maintenance releases to the point of being largely
automated would be beneficial. However, I don't think the problem is
lack of desire for that outcome, it's that maintaining the release
toolchain pretty much becomes a job at that point, as you really want
to be producing nightly builds (since the creation of those nightlies
in effect becomes the regression test suite for the release
toolchain), and you also need to more strictly guard against even
temporary regressions in the maintenance branches.

There are some variants we could pursue around that model (e.g.
automating Python-only updates without automating updates that require
rebuilding the core interpreter binaries for Windows and Mac OS X),
but none of it is the kind of thing likely to make anyone say "I want
to work on improving this in my free time". Even for commercial
redistributors, it isn't easy for us to make the business case for
assigning someone to work on it, since we're generally working from
the source trees rather than the upstream binary releases.

I do think it's worth putting this into our bucket of "ongoing
activities we could potentially propose to the PSF for funding",
though. I know Ewa (Jodlowska, the PSF's Director of Operations) is
interested in better supporting the Python development community
directly (hence https://donate.pypi.io/ ) in addition to the more
indirect community building efforts like PyCon US and the grants
program, so I've been trying to build up a mental list of CPython
development pain points where funded activities could potentially
improve the contributor experience for volunteers. So far I have:

- issue triage (including better acknowledging folks that help out
with triage efforts)
- patch review (currently "wait and see" pending the impact of the
GitHub migration)
- nightly pre-release builds (for ease of contribution without first
becoming a de facto C developer and to help make life easier for
release managers)

That last one is a new addition to my list based on this thread, and I
think it's particularly interesting in that it would involve a much
smaller set of target users than the first two (with the primary
stakeholders being the release managers and the folks preparing the
binary installers), but also a far more concrete set of deliverables
(i.e. nightly binary builds being available for active development and
maintenance branches for at least Windows and Mac OS X, and
potentially for the manylinux1 baseline API defined in PEP 513)

Cheers,
Nick.