[Python-Dev] Automating the maintenance release pipeline (was Re: Request for CPython 3.5.3 release)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 01:04:05 EDT 2016

On 4 July 2016 at 10:34, Chris Krycho <chris at chriskrycho.com> wrote:
> The bots Mozilla runs around both Rust and Servo should make a lot of this
> much lower overhead if they can be repurposed (as I believe several other
> communities have already done).
>
> Homu, the build manager tool, runs CI (including buildbots, Travis, etc.),
> is integrated with GitHub PRs so maintainers can trigger it with a comment
> there, and can also roll up a bunch of changes into one (handy to pull
> together e.g. a bunch of small documentation changes like typo fixes):
> https://github.com/barosl/homu That seems to keep the pain level of having
> an always-building-and-passing-tests nightly version much lower.

Aye, as Brett mentioned, we're definitely interested in the work
Rust/Mozilla have been doing, and it's come up in previous discussions
on the core-workflow list like
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/core-workflow/2016-February/000480.html

However, automating the Mac OS X and Windows Installer builds and the
subsquent uploads to python.org gets more challenging, as at that
point you're looking at either producing unsigned binaries, or else
automating the creation of signed binaries, and the latter means you
start running into secrets management problems that don't exist for
plain CI builds.

Cheers,
Nick.