[Python-Dev] release cadence (was: Request for CPython 3.5.3 release)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Jul 5 21:09:15 EDT 2016

On Jul 06, 2016, at 10:55 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>However, if we did decide we wanted to take minimising "time to
>redistribution" for at least Ubuntu & Fedora into account, then the
>two main points to consider would be:
>
>- starting the upstream beta phase before the first downstream alpha freeze
>- publishing the upstream final release before the last downstream beta freeze

There have been cases in the past where the schedules didn't align perfectly,
and we really wanted to get ahead of the game, so we released with a late
beta, and then got SRUs (stable release upgrade approval) to move to the final
release *after* the Ubuntu final release.  This isn't great though, especially
for non-LTS releases because they have shorter lifecycles and no point
releases.

Cheers,
-Barry