[Python-Dev] Making stdlib modules optional for distributions (Was: Breaking up the stdlib (Was: release cadence))

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Thu Jul 7 08:12:27 EDT 2016

On 7/6/2016 10:44 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> The point of overlap I see is that if the stdlib starts putting some
> selected modules into site-packages (so "pip install --upgrade
> <sublibrary>" works without any changes to pip or equivalent tools),
> then that also solves the "How to explicitly declare dependencies on
> particular pieces of the standard library" problem: you use the same
> mechanisms we already use to declare dependencies on 3rd party
> packages distributed via a packaging server.

One thing to keep in mind if we do this is how it interacts with the -S
command line option to not include site-packages in sys.path. I
currently use -S to basically mean "give my python as it was
distributed, and don't include anything that was subsequently added by
adding other RPM's (or package manager of your choice)". I realize
that's a rough description, and possibly an abuse of -S. If using -S
were to start excluding parts of the stdlib, that would be a problem for me.

Eric.