[Python-Dev] C99

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 07:23:31 EDT 2016

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure I meant that. But if I have a 3rd party extension that
> compiles with 3.5 headers using C89, then it should still compile with
> 3.6 headers using C99. Also if I compile it for 3.5 and it only uses
> the ABI it should still be linkable with 3.6.

Ok, but if third-party developers shall be free to use a C89 compiler for
their own code, we cannot have C99 in the include files. Otherwise the
include files will taint the C89 purity of their source code.

Personally I don't think we need to worry about compilers that don't
implement C99 features like inline functions in C. How long have the Linux
kernel used inline functions instead of macros? 20 years or more?

Sturla