[Python-Dev] PEP: Ordered Class Definition Namespace

Émanuel Barry vgr255 at live.ca
Tue Jun 7 14:57:16 EDT 2016

Good point. I'll assume that if we need that we'll do something in the metaclass.

> What is the value of type.definition_order()?  If you need a mutable
> copy then pass __definition_order__ to list().

I think I explained it backwards. I meant to have a method on ``type`` (which metaclasses can override at will) which will set what is passed to the resulting __definition_order__ attribute. But it might not be needed, as we can probably sneak that inside the namespace in the metaclass' __new__.

> > Additionally
> > I'm not sure if setting the attribute to None is a good idea; I'd have it as
> > an empty tuple. Then again I tend to overthink a lot.
>
> None indicates that there is no order.  An empty tuple indicates that
> there were no attributes.

Fair enough.

> -eric

-Emanuel