[Python-Dev] Stop using timeit, use perf.timeit!

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jun 10 13:41:48 EDT 2016

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 at 10:11 Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 05:07:18PM +0200, Victor Stinner wrote:
> > I started to work on visualisation. IMHO it helps to understand the
> problem.
> >
> > Let's create a large dataset: 500 samples (100 processes x 5 samples):
> > ---
> > $ python3 telco.py --json-file=telco.json -p 100 -n 5
> > ---
> >
> > Attached plot.py script creates an histogram:
> > ---
> > avg: 26.7 ms +- 0.2 ms; min = 26.2 ms
> >
> > 26.1 ms:   1 #
> > 26.2 ms:  12 #####
> > 26.3 ms:  34 ############
> > 26.4 ms:  44 ################
> > 26.5 ms: 109 ######################################
> > 26.6 ms: 117 ########################################
> > 26.7 ms:  86 ##############################
> > 26.8 ms:  50 ##################
> > 26.9 ms:  32 ###########
> > 27.0 ms:  10 ####
> > 27.1 ms:   3 ##
> > 27.2 ms:   1 #
> > 27.3 ms:   1 #
> >
> > minimum 26.1 ms: 0.2% (1) of 500 samples
> > ---
> [...]
> > The distribution looks a gaussian curve:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_function
>
> Lots of distributions look a bit Gaussian, but they can be skewed, or
> truncated, or both. E.g. the average life-span of a lightbulb is
> approximately Gaussian with a central peak at some value (let's say 5000
> hours), but while it is conceivable that you might be really lucky and
> find a bulb that lasts 15000 hours, it isn't possible to find one that
> lasts -10000 hours. The distribution is truncated on the left.
>
> To me, your graph looks like the distribution is skewed: the right-hand
> tail (shown at the bottom) is longer than the left-hand tail, six
> buckets compared to five buckets. There are actual statistical tests for
> detecting deviation from Gaussian curves, but I'd have to look them up.
> But as a really quick and dirty test, we can count the number of samples
> on either side of the central peak (the mode):
>
> left: 109+44+34+12+1 = 200
> centre: 117
> right: 500 - 200 - 117 = 183
>
> It certainly looks *close* to Gaussian, but with the crude tests we are
> using, we can't be sure. If you took more and more samples, I would
> expect that the right-hand tail would get longer and longer, but the
> left-hand tail would not.
>

> > The interesting thing is that only 1 sample on 500 are in the minimum
> > bucket (26.1 ms). If you say that the performance is 26.1 ms, only
> > 0.2% of your users will be able to reproduce this timing.
>
> Hmmm. Okay, that is a good point. In this case, you're not so much
> reporting your estimate of what the "true speed" of the code snippet
> would be in the absence of all noise, but your estimate of what your
> users should expect to experience "most of the time".

I think the other way to think about why you don't want to use the minimum
is what if one run just happened to get lucky and ran when nothing else was
running (some random lull on the system), while the second run didn't get
so lucky on magically hitting an equivalent lull? Using the average helps
remove the "luck of the draw" potential of taking the minimum. This is why
the PyPy folks suggested to Victor to not consider the minimum but the
average instead; minimum doesn't measure typical system behaviour.

> Assuming they have exactly the same hardware, operating system, and load
> on their system as you have.

Sure, but that's true of any benchmarking. The only way to get accurate
measurements for one's own system is to run the benchmarks yourself.

-Brett